Give & Take with Nature
An Exploratory Nature Activity for Preschoolers!
Open the door and start to explore. We can thank Nature herself for this nature activity – she brings all the required materials right to you!
- Older Infants, Toddlers
- Learning Domains:
- Approaches to Learning
- Materials Needed:
- A tote, pail, or bag for each child.
- Pre-explore your outdoor area to be sure any obvious hazards are removed. If nature has done its job, there will be “gifts of fall” available for the picking. If you’re in an area without trees to drop these gifts, you’ll need to stage a collection area. Gather pine cones, acorns, seedpods, and a variety of leaves and scatter them in the play area.
- Give each child a tote or basket for collecting. A basket with a handle or a pail may be easier for young children to manage. You can use pumpkin trick or treat baskets which are readily available at discount stores at this time of year. After all, pumpkins are part of the fall harvest!
- Show the children examples of the objects that they can collect for their baskets. Practice in the classroom before you go outside.
- Be very clear that objects that are found outside cannot be put in their mouths. You might want to do this activity with a few children at a time so you can keep a close watch!