How to Study Insects
Insect Activity for Preschoolers
Preschoolers will go "buggy" over this insect activity!
- Learning Domains:
- Science Knowledge & Skills
- Materials Needed:
- Clear plastic container with lid
- Piece of bread
- Honey or sugar
- Poke air holes in the lid of the plastic container.
- Invite children to tell you what they know about insects. Describe what they look like. Do you know the names of their body parts? Where do they live? What do they eat? What do they do in the cold weather?
- Ask if they have any suggestions on how to collect insects to observe. Introduce the bug jar. Based on their suggestions, try different collection methods.
- Teach the children about the 4 L's* for studying insects (and other living things).
- LOOK at them
- LEARN about them
- LET them go
- LEAVE them alone